Football Friday was wet, cold, and not what the doctor ordered for some local teams


Evansville Central Bears ranked number 2 and showed it with the 30 -7 victory over the Cats.  But the Cats did a good job of keeping this game close with a score of 10 -7 Bears  at the half.  The Bears scored first with a 10 yard run from Teorien Evans then with early in the second quarter the Cats recover a fumble and have it at the 48 which then led to the Cats first score with a touchdown pass.  Late in the 2nd quarter Jasper holds the bears to a field goal to make the score 10 – 7 Bears.  The Cats had a little less than two minutes before the half and did everything they could but the Bears stopped that effort and went into the half in the lead 10 – 7.

Jasper gets the ball back after the Bears first 3rd quarter possession leads to punting to the Cats giving them a chance to score and take the lead but the wet conditions and the Bears defense just kept the Cats just out of reach of the goal line.  Then late in the late in the 3rd quarter the Bears unleashed  5 foot 11, 250 lbs of Devonta Madison and kept running the ball down the Cats throat.  Madison scores 2 yard rushing TD, then another one its now 23 -7 Bears, with only 7 minutes in the 3rd Jasper is intercepted and Bears score again and you know the rest of the story as the game ends 30 -7 Bears over the Cats.   The Jasper Wildcats had a really good year considering all the covid craziness and just not knowing what might happen next.

In the 2a match up the Forest Park Rangers where at home against the North Knox Warriors although weather conditions did not help the Rangers it was the North Knox offense that had the biggest effect as they scored time and time again.  Forest Park was able to 15 points on the board but they had no answer for the Warriors won the 2a match up 59 – 15.

In the 3a match up Southridge traveled to Mt. Vernon although the weather was wet, cold, and slippery and because of Covid concerns the ticket sales for the game was limited to only players, coaches, and family the Southridge Raiders did their thing on the ground, in the air everywhere as they defeated Mt. Vernon 42 -10 and move on to the next match up against Gibson Southern who defeated Heritage Hills 21 – 10