Jasper (NNDC) – The new St. Mother Theodore statue was formally unveiled and dedicated Saturday afternoon outside the St. Joseph Catholic Church Parish Center.
The unveiling was part of a weekend of events honoring St. Mother Theodore who founded the first school in Dubois County 175 years ago this month. The weekend of events was titled, “Walking In The Footsteps Of A Saint.”
Bishop Charles Thompson celebrated Mass at St. Joseph Church prior to the unveiling and dedication.
The crowd gathered Saturday at Jasper included a number of Sisters of Providence from St. Mary’s-of-the-Woods in Terre Haute. St. Mother Theodore founded the Sisters of Providence congregation in 1840. A number of the Sisters of Providence in attendance Saturday were Dubois County natives.
The statues were commissioned by St. Joseph Catholic Church. The artist, Nick Ring, attended by elementary and high school in Jasper.
St. Mother Theodore is Indiana’s only Saint.