Jasper Man’s Attempted Murder Trial Winding Down (w/VIDEO)

MyersJasper (NNDC) – The trial of a Jasper man charged with the attempted murder of his ex-wife is winding down.

35-year old Casey Meyers (pictured) is charged with a Level 1 felony count of attempted murder and Level 6 felony counts of strangulation and intimidation after police say he slashed his ex-wife’s throat and left her laying on the floor of the home they once shared.

Police say on the evening of December 22, 2015, Myers’ then estranged wife and a friend went to the home to get Christmas presents for the couple’s children, as well as other items including clothes.

Court documents say Myers made a threatening remark toward his ex-wife and their children.  A short time later, the friend said Myer’s grabbed his ex-wife and threw her against the wall and then started choking her.

The friend fled the home and went for help.  She and a neighbor found the Myers’ home locked after they called 911.

Police say when they got to the home in the 400 block of East 7th Street, Myers had come out of the house holding a beer a cigarette and was sitting on the front porch.

Inside, police says they found the wife on the floor with a what was described as a“big hole” in her neck cut with a surrogated knife.  JPD says the wife showed signs she had been strangled and one of her eye sockets was later found to be broken.

JPD says they Myers’ ex-wife was unconscious at the time her throat was cut.

Myers’ trial is being held in Dubois Circuit Court before Dubois Superior Court Judge Mark McConnell.

Myers, who says he was insane at the time, told the jurt Monday he was distraught by he testified as his wife’s ongoing infidelity.  He said he had been drinking and had not slept for the three days prior to the incident.  He testified that night his wife taunted him about a man she was then dating.

Both the ex-wife and her friend both testified they were no taunts about another man.

Police say Myers’ blood alcohol content at the time of his arrest was .19%.  He says he doesn’t remember anything else that happened that night.  He is being held without bond.

The trial is continuing today (Tuesday) with testimony from various mental health experts.  The case is expected to go to the Jury Wednesday.


Speak Your Mind