High-Speed Pursuit In Huntingburg Ends With Deployed Spikes; Two Arrests

Text of video

Huntingburg (NNDC) – Two Huntingburg men were arrested Monday night after a high-speed pursuit with local police that ended with officers stopping the car the men were with spike strips.

Huntingburg police say 21-year old Ricardo Herrera and 23-year old Adolfo Hernandez were taken into custody.

HPD says officers on patrol clocked a car in the 1200 block of N. Van Buren traveling 64 miles an hour. The posted speed limit on city streets is 25.

But the driver of the car, later identified as Herrera, then began to flee after police attempted to pull over the car on Van Buren.

Herrera continued to drive north on Van Buren, then onto U. S. 231 where the pursuit continued north.

About halfway between Huntingburg and Jasper, Herrera lost control of the car causing it to spin 180 almost striking an Indiana State trooper car that had joined in the pursuit.

HPD says the Herrera vehicle continued south on U. S. 231 back toward Huntingburg. An HPD officer was able to deploy spike strips at the intersection with Phoenix Drive. The car ran over the strip which deflated three of its four tires.

Police say Herrera continued to drive south before the car’s fourth tire blew causing the car off the highway and into the front landscaping of the Spudz-N-Stuff restaurant at the intersection with 12th Street.

Police say Herrera got out of the car and began to flee on foot, but was quickly taken into custody. HPD says, Hernandez, a passenger in the car, initially refused officers’ command to stop, but later complied.

Police say Hernandez had two glass smoking pipes in his possession.

HPD has charged Herrera with Resisting Law Enforcement with a Vehicle, Resisting Law Enforcement (on foot), Criminal Confinement, Reckless Driving and Driving a Vehicle Having Never Been Licensed.

Hernandez has been charged with Resisting Law Enforcement and Possession of Paraphernalia.

Meanwhile, HPD says two other passengers in the car complied with police at the scene and were later released after questioning.

Speak Your Mind