“Amazing” Best Describes House Fire That Put Itself Out (Photos/Audio)

Holland (NNDC) – “Amazing how it pretty much put itself out!” That’s how John Hemmer best describes a fire run made Tuesday night by the Holland Volunteer Fire Department. Hemmmer is the assistant chief of HVFD.

The department was called to a fire east of Holland on South 500 West.

Hemmer says when Russ Newman returned home at about 6:00PM, he found smoke inside. A further check of the house found much heavier smoke in the basement.

Hemmer says a dehumidifier shorted out and caught fire.

In fact, when Holland firefighters arrived on scene, there was no fire, just the lingering smoke.

Hemmer says it appears the burned for a short time before it actually, in an indirect way, put itself out…

Hemmer says the fire was hot long enough to completely melt the plastic of the dehumidifier.  Some items in the basement near it also burned.

Hemmer says no one was home from about 12Noon until 6PM.  It’s not known when the fire actually started.

Hemmer did say had that water line not been where it was, there’s a very good chance the entire house could have eventually caught fire.

Speak Your Mind

*