Smoking Laptop Causes Evacuation Of Ferdinand Elementary

Ferdinand (NNDC) – “Had no one been there, it could have been a whole different scenario!” That’s how Ferdinand Volunteer Fire Department Chief Dan Lindauer described what happened at Ferdinand Elementary late Tuesday morning.

Shortly before 12 noon, a school staff member notice a laptop computer smoking in the what is called a “server” room near the desk of technology specialist Tami Hochgesang.

Lindauer says the quick thinking Hochgesang grabbed the computer, which had been recently repaired, and took it outside the building.

Lindauer says it appears the computer’s lithium battery overheated causing the computer to begin smoking. Lindauer says, “several laptops were on the room’s carpeted floor near a cardboard box. Had no one been there to get the computer out, the cardboard box could have easily caught fire eventually.”

The smoking computer did prompt the school’s fire alarm to activate and the building was evacuated for a short time as a precaution and until FVFD gave the all clear to return to class.

Speak Your Mind

*