Man Who Spit In Face Of Jasper Police Officer Is Sentenced


Michael Anthony Arteaga

JASPER (NNDC) – A Jasper man who became combative with police and local patrons at a local bar this summer has been formally sentenced in Dubois Circuit Court.

As part of a plea agreement, 31-year old Michael Arteaga was sentenced Friday (December 11th) to six years in the Indiana Department of Correction.

Earlier, Arteaga pleaded guilty to Battery Against a Public Safety Official, a Level 5 felony, Battery by Bodily Waste, a Level 6 felony, Intimidation, a Level 6 felony, two counts of Resisting Law Enforcement, class A misdemeanors, and two counts of Battery Resulting in Bodily Injury, class A misdemeanors.

Dubois Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Brian Lucchi said after the sentence was handed down before Circuit Court Judge Nathan Verkamp, “The prosecutor’s office will not tolerate violence against the men and women who risk their lives every day to keep the rest of us safe.  Anyone who is charged with battering or intimidating a law enforcement officer in Dubois County should plan to be prosecuted vigorously.”

On the night of May 30th, Jasper police were called to JR’s Bar on South Clay Street. There they found a shirtless Arteaga in the parking lot who then took off running as officers approached him.

A JPD officer caught Arteaga by the railroad tracks to the northwest of the bar.   JPD says Arteaga then began fighting with officers.  JPD says Arteaga eventually had to be subdued with a tazer gun.

JPD says after Arteaga was taken into custody and handcuffed he then spit in a police officer’s face.

JPD says Arteaga was belligerent and disorderly the entire time with police and later with EMTs who called to the scene.  Police say Arteaga continued his combative behavior with staff at Memorial Hospital where he was taken and treated for minor injuries he suffered in the altercation with police.

Witnesses say before police arrived, Arteaga entered JR’s Bar where he became physical with two patrons inside.  Arteaga was immediately escorted out of the establishment, but he continued verbal assaults on patrons from the parking lot.  Police were then called to the scene.



Speak Your Mind