Fire Destroys Garage & Shed; Damages Nearby Homes

20140713_101139_resized_3Fire destroyed a detached garage and a storage shed in the 13-hundred block of Jackson Street Sunday afternoon.

Jasper Fire Chief Ken Hochgesang says the garage was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on scene at about 4:40 Sunday afternoon.

The garage belonged to Connie Thewes at 1339 Jackson. The storage shed on property owned by Steve Wampler at 1337 Jackson. Hochgesang says the fire appears to have started in the southeast corner of Thewes’ garage….

20140713_101955_resized_1HOchgesang 2

The fire not only destroyed the garage structure, it also destroyed its contents which included a moped, grills and lawn mowers. Inside Wampler’s shed was an all-terrain vehicle and lawn and garden equipment.

Hochgesang says heat from the fire also damaged the siding on the back of Wampler’s house. Hochgesang says there was also heat and fire damage to the siding of a garage and fence at the 1336 Main St. That property is owned by Holly Smith.

Heat also broke out windows at an apartment building across the all at 107 E. 14th St. It’s owned by Bernard Kress. The fire also destroyed a City of Jasper utility pole, which did knock out power in the immediate area for a short time. There were no injuries.

Speak Your Mind

*