A vacant home was heavily damaged by fire early Sunday morning.
The fire broke out sometime around 5am Sunday at a home at 8389 North Cuzco Road about an eighth of a mile South of State Road 56 in Nicholson Valley.
When Dubois firefighters arrived on scene, they found the house ablaze and the roof had totally collapsed into the structure.
No one was living in the home at the time. Its owner, Steve Stackhouse, now lives in French Lick. He told Dubois firefighters Sunday that he and his wife moved out of the house around Christmas.
He says he was at the home a week ago Sunday and that he normally goes to the house to check on things every Sunday as well.
Stackhouse says the house had propane heat, but that he let the empty empty over the winter. He says the house does not had heat in it since as there was no one living there. He also says there was still electricity to the house. The fire destroyed the entire house which firefighters says was a 40’x40′ structure with a basement.
The Dubois Volunteer Fire Department has not yet released a cause of the fire.