Jasper Apartment Fire Contained To One Unit

Photo: Jennifer Anfosso Engleman

Photo: Jennifer Anfosso Engleman

A fire Sunday morning did considerable damage to an apartment on the city’s far southeast side.

The fire broke out shortly after 8 o’clock Sunday morning at the Fountainview Apartments in the 800 block of Conrad Avenue.

The fire broke out in the bedroom of an upstairs apartment rented by 21-year-old Jeremy Bryant.  A burning cigarette is believed to the cause of the fire according to Jasper fire chief Kenny Hochgesang.

Bryant was transported to Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation and a cut to his foot.  His hair was also singed by the fire.  He was later transferred to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Evansville.

Bryant was taken from the scene by ambulance to Memorial Hospital and was then transferred to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Evansville, according to a spokeswoman at the Jasper medical facility. Hochgesang said Bryant suffered from smoke inhalation, had his hair singed and was reported to have sustained a cut to his foot.

Four people living in apartments on the building’s second floor were evacuated using ladders because there was too much smoke for the residents to safely use the nearest stairway.  They were allowed to return to their apartments after the building was ventilated.   Most of the estimated $30,000 in damage was contained to Bryant’s apartment.

 

Speak Your Mind

*